Help with Search

Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT
Slavery By Another Name
by KAMRUL RUHIT - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 04:49 PM

In the Lecture, Slavery By Another Name, the movie expresses how one of the reasons the white southerners did not want black freed slaves in the market is because they felt the blacks were competition. This seems a bit off  because these blacks are newly freed with little to nothing to support themselves. These white southern plantation owners have funds, experience, and equipment most likely with steady connections already set up. These freed slaves are struggling to find land to settle on with little to no money. And even if/when they set themselves up with a way of living, what makes the southerners think that their buyers would drop them for the sake of the Afican Americans. I feel this reason is invalid and does not truly give insight on why southerners tried so hard to keep the African Americans off the market. 

Picture of THOMAS MCNULTY
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by THOMAS MCNULTY - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 07:07 PM

I see what your saying Kamrul and I agree but also disagree. I agree with what your saying about how if the slaves were freed, they would be at a serious disadvantage economicly and that the jobs of the people would be hardly effected in the south, but I feel like you may have misinturprited the region that was in opposition to slavery being the lowerclass north insted of the south. It would make more sence if it was the north being that they had jobs rather than farms, but in the south, lowerclass had farms which just sold produce, something that is not stealable by someone else rather than a job. Also, if this is what you ment about the plantation owners, they wouldn't be afraid of loosing their jobs but rather their slaves themselfs if they were freed.

Picture of SOPHIE HARRINGTON
by SOPHIE HARRINGTON - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 10:46 PM

I agree with you that white southerners did not want black people freed, but I think it was more an issue of them not wanting black people to take their land than their competition. Southerner plantation owners were angered that black people would no longer be working for them - thus their workforce would diminish - as well as upset that they would then acquire their land. However I totally agree with your points about the many disadvantages black people had when trying to build their own lives. 

Picture of FREDERICK GOULD
by FREDERICK GOULD - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:06 AM

I disagree with you on your point about black freedmen being competition, I believe the documentary was correct in that part of the reason for the whites' animosity towards blacks was the competition they would provide. You say that the plantation owners were the ones who were most concerned about competition, but in reality, it was the giant class of impoverished whites who desperately wanted to climb out of said poverty and saw blacks as an obstacle to that. Their support and participation in movements that virtually enslaved blacks were driven by their fear of the competition blacks would provide.

Picture of MINGJIE LIAN
by MINGJIE LIAN - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 07:46 PM

I disagree with you when you say that freed blacks won't be a compitition because industries would pay blacks less than what they would pay to a white person. And due to the convict leasing system blacks couldn't argue on wages to whites because they could get sent to jail. So i think that black people were a compitition due to low wages. 

Picture of Malcolm Scannell
by Malcolm Scannell - Thursday, December 10, 2015, 10:08 PM

I agree with the argument you are making about how Southern whites did not have to fear the presence of free blacks as competition for job opportunities because they were living in a time period that coordinatingly empowered and disempowered whites and blacks. Furthermore, newly freed African Americans were targeted by terrorist organizations, such as the Ku Klux Klan or the White League, due to the fear they throretically envoked within whites who felt as though they were being marginalized.