Help with Search

Picture of ABDELAZIZ RIFAI
Slavery by Another Name
by ABDELAZIZ RIFAI - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 05:08 PM

In the lecture Slavery by Another Name, a significant point made is how the thirteenth amendment impacted blacks. The amendment is usually only seen in a good way, since it abolished slavery. However, a flaw in this amendment is how it states that slavery is legal as punishment for a crime. This allowed whites in the South to take advantage of the "punishment for a crime" and charge blacks for very foolish crimes so they could leglly hold slaves.

Picture of PALEY FENNER
Re: Slavery by Another Name
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 08:24 PM

I totally agree that Amendment XIII had some backfires and negative outcomes. Amendment XIII didhave initially a good purpose, but, unfortunately Southerners that supported slavery found ways around Amendment XIII so that the Southern economy could survive and so that they could dehumanize former slaves by imprisoning them and using them for labor. 

I also agree that some of the crimes that the former slaves were convicted by we're complete trash. Up to five years for stealing a pig? I don't believe any former slave would attemp that nor have the position to, just easy to convict someone of by framing them.

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 09:08 PM

I agree with your point about african americans being targeted by local enforcement. Indicting them for such this as loitering and vagrancy seems as if itsef should be illegal nonetheless sentencing them to months in a mine with no pay. This created enourmous problems for many blacks as they could not feel safe simply walking around. 

Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER
by MOHAMED SAMATER - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 03:02 PM

I agree that the documentary showed the impacts of the multiple viewings of the 13th amendment, like how convict leasing was legal because as a punishment, they were slaved out to private companies and the state getting the money.
Picture of XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
by XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:31 PM

I deeply agree. This video completely demonstrates another side and the loopholes hidden inside the 14th amendment. Through these loopholes we see how the South is able to take advantage and continue their version of slavery which is soemtimes thought of as even more brutal than the real thing.

Picture of Malcolm Scannell
by Malcolm Scannell - Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:55 PM

I agree with the point you are making regarding the loopholes that Southerners found within the newly adopted amemndments (The thirteenth-fifteenth, but specifically the thirteenth), and the ways in which they exploited this vital flaw. Not only does this show their racist notions and motives, but it also characterizes Southerners desperation from their depart with the institution of enslavement.

Picture of ROBERT SHAPIRO
by ROBERT SHAPIRO - Thursday, December 17, 2015, 06:45 PM

I agree with you. I think the 13th amendment left a lot of loopholes that southerners did not hesitate to use. The fact that some states increased misdaemenors to felonies just to justify longer sentenes for African Americans shows how easy any weakness can be exploited. I think this shows how careful we need to be when writing amendment and laws because if they are not air tight there can be large consequences. We published an Amendment to abolish slavery and yet in 1930 an estimated 2.4 millions were victims of exloitative labor. The fact it took another 80 years and a World War to truly get rid of slavery is extremly alarming.