Help with Search

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
Slavery By Another Name
by EMMA ATLAS - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 05:51 PM

In the video the main thing stated was that slavery did not end with the emancipation proclimation and the 13th amendment. The video argues that slavery continued into the 1940s under the name of convict leasing and peonage. Convict leasing was something mainly done in the south, where prisons would sell the labour of prisoners to a company. These prisoners would do hard labour in the mines, on railroads and many other places besides. Although the 14th amendment said that all laws applied to everyone, blacks tended to get arrested for very small offenses while whites were not or either given less harsh sentances. So most of the prisoners affected bythe convict leasing system were black and slavery was able to continue. Another way slavery was able to continue was through peonage. Where someone would hold another constantly in debt and force them to work for nothing in order to pay of their debt. Again, this mostly affected black americans who were accused of being in debt and then forced to work for a certain amount of time. Due to the convict leasing system and peonage the instituion of slavery was able to continue under a different name well into the 20th century.

Picture of PALEY FENNER
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 08:46 PM

I totally agree. The main thing I got out of the video was that it was not a Golden Age when Amendment XIII and the Emancipation Proclimation was introduced. 

I can agree to what your saying about convict leasing. Leasing convicts (mostly former slaves and some Republicans) to private organizations was a major effect of Amendment XIII and was a very negative outcome. I am absolutely sure during the 1900s when the tecnology was developing further, the federal government and state governments experimented on blacks who may or may not have been prisoners. Which led slavery to indeed continue "under a new name."

I also can agree that debt was a major issue. Many many many former slaves fell into debt and had to work to pay off their debt which is extremely sad. You have former slaves most likely happy when Amendment XIII was introduced and many probably would kill for a chance to live freely, get everything taken away essentially due to the injustice and evil of the confederacy.

Picture of Rheanne Carbonilla
by Rheanne Carbonilla - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:42 PM

I agree and from reading this I fully understand the title of the lecture and the full meaning behind it. Convict leasing was basically slavery, convicts had little given to them like food. Also convict leasing gave power to the owner, just like how in slavery the planter has the power over the ones enslaved.
Picture of BEFTU SULTAN
by BEFTU SULTAN - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 09:52 PM

I found it really interesting how convict leasing/peonage ended during World War II. I do recall from 9th grade history and make a connection that there were the first African American pilots in World War II. 

Picture of PALEY FENNER
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 09:59 PM

Many of the African Americans that fought in World War II hoped their service to the United States of America would help their standing in society and help with equality.

Picture of NIHAL DHILLON
by NIHAL DHILLON - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:20 PM

I agree with with you, the south used convit leasing and peonage to keep slavery as another name. The Souths economy needed a lot of help after the Civil War due to the damage the war caused in the South. Even though the laws changed, it took time to change peoples mindset.

Picture of Kiva McElhiney
by Kiva McElhiney - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:22 PM

I agree. Even though slavery had been abolished and the civil war was over, there were still many systems quite similar to slavery occuring. People were not respecting the 13th amendment, and not only were they doing that, but were also trying to find loopholes in how to get away with it. It is unfair that the insitution of slavery still continued, even when it was supposidly "rid" of. Peonage was also a very sad, inascabable concept.