Help with Search

Picture of THOMAS MCNULTY
Slavery By Another Name
by THOMAS MCNULTY - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 06:29 PM

The movie Slavery By Another Name was incredibly interesting for the fact that it effectivly portrayed how cunniving the south was in establishing slavery by other names. When going over notes, it was apparent that the south found ammendment loopholes, but the movie clearly showed how small they were while being incredibly impactful on African Americans. A large part of the movie was dedicated to convict leasing, the act of leasing prisoners to industrys, typicaly coal, and making profit. Through the smallest specification in the 13th ammendment, that allowing involentary servitude only as punishment for crime, the south craftily imprisoned African Americans to put them into this new institution of criminal slavery. This insignificant detail was most likely put there to allow the ability to put convicts to work to be allowed under the constitution, something that would be illegal if it was not included. To institute slavery into this system when the direct act of enslavement was illegal was such a desperate and crafty move, but to me was not unpredictable based on how the southerners were depicted throught the movie and how they were talked about throught.

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 09:12 PM

I think you bring up an interesting point talking about the impact it had on african americans and the fact that many times these people would face extremely harsh treatment over loitering or vagrancy. The problem in the constitution was that this clause could be interpreted very loosely which is what happened and many african americans suffered greatly because of it.

Picture of FREDERICK GOULD
by FREDERICK GOULD - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:18 AM

I agree with you, someone should have been able to predict that the South would do anything to reenslave the blacks, even abusing holes in amendments. The convict leasing system should not have been allowed to exist until World War II, as someone should have seen how the south was virtually enslaving blacks and had the will to pass legislation to combat it.

Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT
by KAMRUL RUHIT - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 11:23 AM

I agree how this small point in the Constitutional Amendment created much difficulty for African Americans, basically putting them back in the same system they were stuck in for Centuries. The writers of the Amendmnet should have taken much more caution on the implementation, for the South has been on this "easy" system for far too long long. It is expected that people willing to treat human beings so terribly would take any measures to achieve their goal of regaining free labour. Had they been more careful on the Reconstruction Amendments, this whole situation could have been avoided.  

Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER
by MOHAMED SAMATER - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 02:57 PM

I agree that the 13th amendment made convict leasing possible through it's phrasing of a punishment being slavery and how well the movie portrayed the impacts of African Americans with the loopholes of the Amendments, like people thinking peonage was legal.
Picture of ABDELAZIZ RIFAI
by ABDELAZIZ RIFAI - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:15 PM

I agree with you that whites in the south were definitely planning on going around the thirteenth amendment, because they were never satisified with the amendment in the first place, so of course they ended up sabotaging the blacks to try and recreate slavery

Picture of NIHAL DHILLON
by NIHAL DHILLON - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:33 PM

I totally agree with you, it wasn't unpredictable that the south would try to go around the amendments or find a loophole. In the documentary there was a line that reflected on the mindset of Southerners. If you got something for free in the past, you would not want to pay for it in the future.

Picture of JAMES KUBICEK
by JAMES KUBICEK - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:56 PM

I agree with what you said about the cunning of the south to find the loopholes and take advantage of the black community. I also enjoyed how you highlighted that it had a massive impact on the African American community as a whole. I believe that the situation was merely the south looking for a means to fill the void left by slavery, and that means was handed to them on a silver platter by the 13th amendment.

Picture of ZACHARY SHETTERLY
by ZACHARY SHETTERLY - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:33 PM

The point you bring up makes complete and total sense. Through small loopholes in the 13th maybe didnt play much of a role on the whites rather a huge role on lives of African Amercians. The loophole setup the acts of fruangelents within the criminal justice system whihc deeply impacted Afrcian American's lives harshly.