Help with Search

Picture of PALEY FENNER
Slavery By Another Name
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 06:53 PM

At the start of the video, Slavery By Another Name, it shows the issue of the aftermath of the Amendment XIII and the Emancipation Proclamation, "a. In the video a narrator says, "Black Southerners were no longer slaves, but they were not yet free" which is an accurate statement due to the effects of the Amendment XIII. Former slaves were indeed no longer slaves, but were not free due to the acts against them that inhumanized them and placed them back "into a position is slavery."

The South could not thrive without the work of slaves. Partly because they did not have enough workers and partly because they were so dependent on slaves in the past. A very good and interesting point a woman states is, "but if you had something for free in the past, you don't necessarily want to pay for it now." It's totally true, wouldn't you want to stop the increase of college costs rather than let it increase at a rapid rate? Less money for college opens more opportunities, and slaves definitely helped the South thrive and run. There was an article/newspaper that wrote "NEGRO STILL A SLAVE" meaning that former slaves were still treated as if they were still a slave due to the hardship of life dealing with racism, the Ku Klu Klan, laws directed at former slaves but still constitutional after the Amendment XIII, and imprisonment.

Due to the South not being able to continue without slaves, they had to put former slaves into a position like slavery. A good way of doing this was having prisoners used for labor. If former slaves were charged and placed in prison, they could use them for labor by sending them to private corporations which would have them work extremely harsh and unsafe conditions. Since the white Southerners that supported slavery and the southern economy could have former slaves used for labor, they had to make sure the punishment lasted for a long time. In the video it says that stealing a pig could lead to five years of imprisonment which was easy to blame/convict someone, didn't take much effort to fake, and lasted a good amount of time for forced labor to occur to the convicted person. Former slaves were no longer slaves but were at high risk of enslavement in private corporations which was unfortunately allowed.

Even for the former slaves that were not imprisoned, there was the danger of the Ku Klux Klan. Many Republicans and black leaders were targeted. The people that were targeted were often murdered in inhumane ways, tortured, raped, etc. Due to the access of freedom, death and punishment for freedom followed. 

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by EMMA ATLAS - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 07:35 PM

I agree that although slaves were now free they were still at a high risk of enslavement due to enslavement in private coorperations. This convict leasing system madeslavery legal in a socioty where slavery was illegal. Convicts had to endure months of hard labour without pay. I also agree that for those who were not imprisoned there was the danger of the KKK. 

Picture of PALEY FENNER
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 08:26 PM

Dehumanize* 

Sorry for the mistake.

Picture of BMENET GIRUM
by BMENET GIRUM - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:16 PM

I also agree that even though that many of the slaves were free and eventually all of them were at the end. Most of them were at risk to be put into a situation that allowed them to be put into slavery again. I liked how you used evidence and surprisingly I used the same one. I feel like when the Women states " but if you had something for free in the past, you don't necessarily want to pay for it now." I believe that you can take that evidence in many directions and it was one of the most influential things I heard in the documentary.

Picture of PALEY FENNER
by PALEY FENNER - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:42 PM

That was a good point she made. It was very interesting to think and elaborate about.