Help with Search

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
Slavery By Another Name
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 08:59 PM

In the documentary “Slavery by Another Name” there were many arguments made however the key point delivered in this movie was that slavery did not end with the 13th Amendment. However it extended well into the late 1800’s surpassing what many people believe to be the literal end to slavery. In the 13th amendment it is stipulated that slavery is illegal “except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted”. This created many problems in the south including the idea of Convict Leasing. Convict Leasing was a system where convicted convicts would be leased out to private companies by the state for profit. It created huge revenue for the state however it infringed on some of the most basic civil rights given to citizens. The conditions these convicts were sent into were often worse than previous conditions they had seen on plantations. Thousands of people died in mines, plantations, and factories along with many others being brought down to their worst physical conditions of their lives. The system of convict leasing also created opportunity for local enforcement to target people based on race. They could now arrest african americans for near nothing and have them sent to 30 days in a mine, these sentences were often extended when prisoners could not pay off their debt.

Picture of PALEY FENNER
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 09:29 PM

I totally agree that conflict leasing was definitely negative outcome and that it impacted former slaves, Republicans, and people opposing the Confederacy. It was a way for slavery to continue under "a new name, and have private organizations profit as well as the southern state governments to profit.

I respectively disagree about the convict leasing. Convict leasing didn't actually really end until World War II (mid 1900s) in the United States of America. To some degree, convict leasing blatantly continues to this day.

I agree that the punishments for what former slaves were convicted for was extreme, the coal mines often led to death or injury due to the harsh conditions the enslaved convicts faced. I find it interesting how in the video they say "up to five years" for the theft of a pig. The "up to" strikes me as they likely decreased time for southern whites of they were to be put on court as the defender. 

Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT
by KAMRUL RUHIT - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 03:11 PM

I agree that the Thirteenth Amendment allowed for peonage to continue becasue the writer of the amendment were not careful enough. I also agree that peonage was much worse because if a slave were to die then the owner would lose out and that was incentive for the owner to be the least bit allowing. However in the system of peonage, people could be worked to death and all the temporary buyer had to do was lease another slave at incredibly low rates. This lost incentive allowed for much terrible treatment of African Americans. 

Picture of Nicholas Reed
by Nicholas Reed - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 07:34 PM

I completely that polices for the thriteenth amendment were stripped from the benefits of African American citizenship in form of allowing debt peonage and creating a system of hiring convicts to work on plantations in order rebuild the agrarian southern economy during the reconstruction period.  I think in the perspective of former slaves, there was not a fair change in terms of their rights controlled by southern statehood/ state authoritie policies by allowing wealthy white plantation owners to continue the harsh labor of African Americans under white influence, which was directly known as the same aspects of American slavery.