Help with Search

Picture of NIHAL DHILLON
Slavery by Another Name
by NIHAL DHILLON - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 10:09 PM

In Slavery by Another Name, I found the main point to be that even though slavery was abolished it still remained by bending and finding loopholes in the 13th Amendment. Involuntary servitude is illegal unless it was a punishment for a crime. The convict lease system was what resulted due to the loophole. Blacks would be arrested, most of the time without having committed a crime and because crimes were exaggerated in order to be able to arrest and charge more people. The pig law(stealing a pig which was worth one dollar before was now worth five years in jail) was an actual law that was passed and could be used to jail people. If at anytime, you could not prove that you were employed, you would be put into jail. People were leased to companies and forced to do hard labor in horrible conditions. Sometimes, once a person went to jail they would not be released. This system was basically a recreation of slavery. The economy was cotton before and now that the south was becoming more industrialized, labor was still needed to help the economy grow. Whites in the South were used to having people under them doing labor for them, so they figured out a way to have people do labor for them that technically did not go against the 13th amendment. Slavery did not suddenly end but slowly decreased over years, once more importance was given to this issue.

Picture of PALEY FENNER
Re: Slavery by Another Name
by PALEY FENNER - Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 10:24 PM

I agree with almost everything that was said. Even though slavery was abolished, it continued asunder a different name so to speak. You say the convict lease system resulted due these loophole but it was the loophole. The convict lease system was the loophole in letting southerners that supported slavery get away with keeping the economy running.

I agree that laws were exaggerated so that forand slaves could be imprisoned easier ano later placed iMichael mines run by private organizations. I believe they stated that the theft of a pig could go up to five years, not every person convicted had a five year imprisonment. 

When you say that sometimes people were not released, it brings me back to the beginning of the video Slavery by Another Name when the woman is asking for her brother I believe (not sure how they are related) and they don't let him free. It is a very unforuptunate thing because they were free but couldn't have a say in the matter. Even after Amendment XV, African Americans had a hard time voting andvoting when voting, they had little say.

Picture of JULIETTE LOW FLEURY
by JULIETTE LOW FLEURY - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 07:42 PM

I agree with most of what you said but I think that the slavery through convict labor did not really decrease over time. If anything, as time went on, I'd argue that the amount of labor and the number of convicts involved increased, making the system bigger and bigger until it finally reached a tipping point and crashed. It didn't look like a gradual decline, just seemed like the Talbert case threw it over the edge and then it started to fall apart. 

Picture of Beminet Desalegn
by Beminet Desalegn - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:46 PM

I agree with you that the southern whites used the loopholes in the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendment to make the blacks inferior to the whites. I was suprised when you mentioned the Pig Law because I did not notice it, but I do think that it demonstrates how the whites wanted to continue the division between the whites and the blacks, and use African Americans to their own benefits. The main point of slavery was to gain profit, and the southerners were able to gain profit through peonage and convict leasing after the Civil War.