Help with Search

Picture of Kiva McElhiney
Slavery by Another Name Post
by Kiva McElhiney - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:17 PM

In the documentary, Slavery by Another Name, they discuss the concept of convict leasing and how it affected the south during reconstruction. Convict leasing was all consuming for many states. It helped to achieve a profitable economy, but was both inhumane and unfair to those working. The documentary examines the reason people continued to use this process, because it was ultimately slavery, it just had a different title. If a private company used this system, they would economically thrive which was the only reason this practice continued. Those trapped in the system were treated horribly and sadly, had no real economic value, unlike those previously enslaved. The majority of the convicts didn’t deserve to be there, most were convicted for vague charges. Convict Leasing corrupted the law because many state police officers would express bias and prejudices towards African Americans so they could send them through to the system. Ultimately, many people think that the time period after the civil war was great and that slavery had been abolished, the truth is it wasn’t. Many newly freed persons were still trapped in the system of slavery.

Picture of JAMES KUBICEK
Re: Slavery by Another Name Post
by JAMES KUBICEK - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 05:01 PM

I enjoy how you explained the fact that police officers and officers of the law in general expressed biases towards people with dark skin. This to me raises the question as to whether this form of police prejudice is at all alike or similar to bayes's we see in law today? My thought is, they do have similarities, but they have a different outcome for those who fall victim to the "unjust" way of operating. 

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
by EMMA ATLAS - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 06:21 PM

I agree whith what you said about how people got trapped in the convict leasing system. It was a horrible institution that was inhumane and I like how you refer back to the video. I also agree that the majority of the people did not deserve to be in prison and was corrupted by the law. 

Picture of PALEY FENNER
by PALEY FENNER - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 06:37 PM

I agree with you all the way. Southern states used convict leasing to bring back slavery and it totally was unfair. The surroundings in which the "enslaved" convicts worked in must have been horrible seeing how the Southern states were pushing towards industrialization. There were likely many people who not died at that moment but got injured in painful ways in the coal mines which may or may not have led to death in the long run.

I agree that they were treated as havingtoeconomic value whatsoever. If someone died that was a convict, I can infer that they were discarded and forgetten by all but the family of that person. It is indeed sad and it is indeed unfortunate it happened. 

Picture of Nicholas Reed
by Nicholas Reed - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 07:22 PM

I agree 100 percent with your claim about how the idea of white southerners "hiring" African American convicts for cultivation purposes on wealthy plantations was in same literal perspective and principles of slavery, but renamed during the late reconstrution period to make the idea seem more naturalized and pro southern economy based.  I additionally believe and agree that southern white authurity figures had directly contributed bias and beliefs that were directly against black citizenship and black supremecy throughout the southern economy.

Picture of TARA JONES
by TARA JONES - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 08:37 PM

I agree with you completely. I think if you wanted to add anything you could discuss who else convict leasing benefitted, it (and other abject slavery forms) really were the economic base for the entire South. I like how you discussed the way convicts were treated worse than slaves because the had no economic value.

Picture of LAURA GILL
by LAURA GILL - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:58 PM

I agree that the convict leasing system was a sign of corruption in the nation's politics because the system was so heavily weighed against the blacks.

Picture of Jamia Yard
by Jamia Yard - Sunday, December 13, 2015, 08:32 PM

I agree and believe many black people did not have a chance at being free because of corrupt police officers and being falsely accused or held for crimes they did not commit.

Picture of Leonardo Escobar
by Leonardo Escobar - Monday, December 14, 2015, 07:31 AM

I agree that most people think that slavery had been completely abolished at this time but people made it harder as if the emancipation proclamation wasn't a call for change in the nation after the civil war.