Help with Search

Picture of JAMES KUBICEK
Slavery By Another Name
by JAMES KUBICEK - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 04:33 PM

The Documentary Slavery By Another Name discusses the important topic of life for freedmen post civil war, and the south scrambling to find a new labor source.  Their first answer was made easy to find because of the 13th amendment, which specifies that any forced labor is illegal unless the person is convicted of a crime. This led to black people being targeted by enforcement officers and being put into imprisonment for crimes that many times they didn't commit. Also, because now that they weren't seen as items with value, they were frequently treated worse than people who were enslaved, because those who “owned” them didn't worry about their maintaining their investment. Another way blacks were forced into involuntary labor was through debt peonage. Courts would often fine them for non arrestable offences and force them to work when they couldn't repay their debts. This meant the court was in total control of how long they could keep them in servitude, which created a system where people were kept indefinitely in forced labor.

Picture of MINGJIE LIAN
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by MINGJIE LIAN - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 07:53 PM

I agree with you when you say that blacks were treated worse than when they were enslaved. In the video it talked about how blacks can get arrested due to vagrancy. Blacks were sent to corporations like mining corporations. The corporation treated blacks like they were animals. For example slaves would have to endure whipping, poison, physical torture, and mental abuse in mining corporations.

Picture of Danielle Reeves
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 08:07 PM

I agree with you that convict leasing was a new way for the south to find a new labor source and that it targeted blacks to be arrester but I do not think it were crimes they did not commit. Although the crimes were ridiculous they were crimes at the time under the local enforcement, certain crimes sentences were hightened just so that the blacks could be aressted, but in the southern whites eyes they were committing a crime. 

Picture of TARA JONES
by TARA JONES - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 08:31 PM

I agree completely. I found it interesting that you used the 13th Amendment in your description of convict leasing. It raises questions for me as to why the 13th Amendment was created allowing the forced labor of prisoners. I think if you wanted to add more you could discuss pig laws and how those were created and enforced targetting black people