Help with Search

Picture of Nicholas Reed
Slavery By Another Name
by Nicholas Reed - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 07:52 PM

In the documentary, Slavery by Another Name, rights of African Americans declared free and US citizens under the thirteenth amendment, were completely stripped of their emancipation and directly readmitted into the process of disfranchising their rights under control of southern white supremecy.  The idea of convicts, which were former US slaves, were directly placed back into the postion of working and cultivating on wealthy plantations to keep the southern agrarian economy secure for the benefit of a positive reconstruction outcome.  Convicts were no different than slaves in the south, meaning that they still had to work and live harsh lives under white supremecy to keep up competition of excisting plantions throughout the southern economy.  Southern authority figures such as the police force and racist state legislatures, had created bias and prejudices that were meant to be in favor of keeping represented African American citizens in the hands + in the labor force of white southerners resulting with the outcome of white supremecy.

Picture of NUSRAT JAHAN
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by NUSRAT JAHAN - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 08:02 PM

I thought this idea was very interesting because the 13th ammendment did abolish slavery... in every instance except in the use of punishment. However, the federal government also immplanted Pig Laws into the system and blacks would receieve punishment- through convict leasing. It just seems to me that it's a really flawed loophole that would've lasted forever, if the federal government continued to be corrupt and in favor of white supremecy. 

Picture of ROBEL MAHARI
by ROBEL MAHARI - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:43 PM

The South espically did take advantage of the fact that it could enslave people for pushisment of a crime. The pig laws were no implanted into the system by the federal government it was done by the states. Also, pig laws didn't really enprision blacks the documentary says they were created to dramatically increased the importance of the crime and allowed the courts sentence blacks for a longer time. I do agree though had the federal government not interfered the life span of peonage would've been indefinate. 

Picture of Danielle Reeves
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 08:04 PM

Although I do agree with you that convict leasing put newly freed slaves back into a form of slavery, at the time it was legal under the 14th amendment. Because the 14th amendment states that criminals can be held therefore I do not think they were striped of their emancipation, but I compleatly agree that it was as abuse of white power and balcks new rights. 

Picture of MIKI CHIYODA
by MIKI CHIYODA - Thursday, December 10, 2015, 12:46 AM

This is a good point to keep in mind, that it was a terrible source of constant abuse of white supremacy on black rights/lives, but at that time it was legal.

Picture of JULIETTE LOW FLEURY
by JULIETTE LOW FLEURY - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 08:04 PM

I think that you are correct about the fact that the African Americans were thrown back into their former chains, (literally they had chain gangs) but its important to recognize that they were not under the exact same circumstances. Instead of laboring in the fields, many of these convicts were spending their days in a dark damp coal mine, or building railroad tracks. The use of convict labor was a principal part of Southern Industrilization. 

Picture of BMENET GIRUM
by BMENET GIRUM - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:06 PM

I agree with you and everything that you said was vaild and had a good point. I like how you put that they disenfranchise the African American under the control of the White Sumpremacy. I felt that was one of your strongest points in your post.

Picture of PABLO REINA GONZALEZ
by PABLO REINA GONZALEZ - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:35 PM

I agree. The Souths enforcement of the 13th amendment was poor and tedious. The abuse of power from Southern rights was despicable. Of course one could claim that an African American was in debt to them, the word of white people in itself held more power in society than that of the African American. It held more authority, because of the South being such a big supporter of slavery and white supremacy.