Help with Search

Picture of BEFTU SULTAN
Slavery By Another Name
by BEFTU SULTAN - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:08 PM

A recurring point I noticed when watching this documentary was that slavery did not really end aft. The form of slavery there was before the 13th Amendment was ratified might have ended, but that doesn't mean that it stopped completely as a whole. The South was able to craft a similar version and introduced a new form of slavery: convict leasing/debt peonage. Just like it said in the film: debt peonage was debt slavery. This was a system that you could not escape at the time. Through this form, former slaves were basically reenslaved. This lasted for a couple of decades, as there were no provisions that made the methods/brutal system Southern whites used illegal. 

A compelling thought that came to my mind was that the Emancipation Proclamation did not free all slaves. I think that this is a common misconception (this is what I was taught in elementary school). This only freed slaves that was not under Union control. Although slavery is a prominent feature in the South, there are also slaves in the Union. This proclamation did not free slaves in the Union, which I found quite ironic because when I was younger I was taught that Lincoln was the great president who freed all slaves. It is much more clear that Lincoln wasn't committed to ending slavery, but doing anything at any cost to save the Union (wether it was keeping slavery or freeing them). 

Picture of ROBEL MAHARI
Re: Slavery By Another Name
by ROBEL MAHARI - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:34 PM

I agree with your post. Convict leasing and debt peonage was the slavery by another name the documentary was refeurring to. I agree completely with your E.P. paragraph. It is a great misconception. I've always associate the North with the good people and the pro black people and the South as the rascist mean people. Now I'm coming to realize that there was a national hate for blacks and that any white man in government in that time period only did things that will help blacks because it also helped them. Wether it be give the blacks their rights because we fear rebellion or give blacks their rights becuase I need their vote to win the election. There's always a motive behind the things they did and I honestly believed that the 13th Amendment was purposely written with a  "loop hole" sort of speach for slavery to exsist.