Help with Search

Picture of ROBEL MAHARI
Slavery by another name
by ROBEL MAHARI - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:23 PM

In the PBS documentary Slavery By Another Name one thing I can to notice was that slavery hadn't truley ended. It took me until half way to realize the meaning of the documentary, Slavery by another name. I noticed the "loop holes" if you will in various documents. The 13th Amendment, which we all know by now didn't really end slavery, but permitted it as use as punishment as a crime. Of course this was abused and intentionally exploited in the South with the creation of pig laws Thus, leading to the birth of Debt Peonage, convict leasing and sharecropping which is all slavery by another name. 

Picture of ZACHARY SHETTERLY
Re: Slavery by another name
by ZACHARY SHETTERLY - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:38 PM

I agree with you on how the documentaries name is connected to the documnetary rather than a hocus pocus name with no meaning behind it. Also I didnt realize that fact until about the middle as well which made me understand a deeper meaning about the documentary.

Picture of Beminet Desalegn
Re: Slavery by another name
by Beminet Desalegn - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:53 PM

I agree with you when you said that the South used the "loopholes" in the 13th, 14th, 15th amendments in order to keep the whites and the blacks divided. The documentary, Slavery by Another Name, itself shows how although slavery was supposed to be abolished throughout the United States, the southern states needed the African Americans and thier labor so bad that they used unreasonable reasons to arrest them and force them into indentured servitude.