Help with Search

Picture of ZACHARY SHETTERLY
Slavery by Another Name
by ZACHARY SHETTERLY - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 09:56 PM

In the PBS program Slavery by Another Name the documentary brings up points on loopholes in the 13th amnedment and how it lead to conivct leasing. Which in some minds was worse than slavery due to African Americans having novalue as a convicted and being treated worse due to the "crimes" they commited. And the conception of the Amercian Dream with which everyone in the United States at the time was trying to achieving was being striped fromt he African Amercian population in the south wrongfully. Basicallly twisting a law to continue the act of slavery, even though it was illegel, the southerners stil got away with it. The fact of the matter is the south conducting "Slavery by Another Name" (hence the title of the documentary) to destill the fact that it was still being conducted within the U.S against the constitution.

Picture of Leonardo Escobar
Re: Slavery by Another Name
by Leonardo Escobar - Monday, December 14, 2015, 07:34 AM

I can see how the loopholes in the 13th ammendment could lead people to believe that their situation is worse than slavery. It must have been absurd to live in a nation where you technically have rights but no one will give them to you.

Picture of ROBERT SHAPIRO
Re: Slavery by Another Name
by ROBERT SHAPIRO - Thursday, December 17, 2015, 06:57 PM

I agree that the 13th Amerndment had a loophole. I can imagine how awful it must have been to be a newly freed slave with dreams and aspirations to go right on back to being opressed and exploited. I think the film does a good job showing what can go wrong when we don not write air tight laws. I think one of the lessons I learned from this film is to be very careful about how we write laws because we do not always see all the way they can be interpretted and as a result people find loopholes like the southerns did and it can lead to disastrous things like convict leasing become a worse slavery.