Help with Search

Picture of ROBERT SHAPIRO
Slavery By Another Name post
by ROBERT SHAPIRO - Thursday, December 17, 2015, 06:37 PM

I think Slavery by Another name tries to make the point that the federal government was not effective in enforcing laws regarding black rights in the South. Peonage, convict leasing, and sharecropping were ways of stealing people lives away and taking away their power. In many ways it was just like slavery. The documentary said that in 1830 an estimated 2.4 million African-Americans living in the south were victims of exploitative labor. This disturbingly high number should have been a giant red flag to the federal government that it seems for the most part did not care enough to deal with. Even when people were sent to trial. John Pace was clearly guilty of peonage but was pardoned by president Roosevelt himself and then to add insult to injusy he continued opress African Americans and the federal government just turned a blind eye.  It was not until the Circular 3591 that the government really tried to stop slavery. FDR seemed to have ulterior motives in doing it also. It seems pretty selfish to let people suffer until you need them to fight a war for you. It makes no sense to me why a government would say they were fighting a war to end slavery and then let something that was very similar happen to a large scale for 80 years. I think the documentary does a good job showing and exposing how the US poorly dealt with upholding the 13th amendment after the Civil War