Help with Search

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
GI bill 2nd Sources
by EMMA ATLAS - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 04:47 PM

WWII had a profound impact on people on the whole. It effected and killed both soldiers and civillians. Many pecies of legislation passed during the war changed veterens lives after the war. One piece of legislation that did this was the GI bill, which gave money to returning veterens to pursue and education or start up a buissness. Thousands of returning veterens were able use these benifits to get back on their feet after the terrible experience of WWII yet many were blocked from recieving those benifits. The GI bill was closed to many blacks and thousands of people who had been given an undesireable discharge for the suspicion of being Gay (938). These undesireable discharges or blue slips ruined peoples lives when they got back home. Not only did the discharge not allow them to recieve benifits but it also made it hard to get a job. When veterens were asked for their discharge papers when applying to jobs or Universities, they were turned away for being Gay (946). I believe that the GI bill was good for some people yet unavalible for others. The blue slips were devistating for many veterens who had fought loyaly for the US on D-Day and during the Battle of the Bulge. Veterens with blue discharges did not get compensation for the years they had spent fighting because the GI bill was unavalible for those with Blue slips. Not only was the GI bill unavalible for those with Blue discharges but it was also unavalible for moth African American Veterens. The 1040s was a time when the Jim Crowe laws were in place. These laws segregated black Americans and kept them seperate and unequal from whites. This was also seen during the war. African Americans fought in segregated units in the Army. The Jim Crowe laws also played a big part when African American veterens came home. Blacks were not nessacarily barred from the GI bill yet it was still unavalible to most. There was a lot of poverdy in many black families in the 1940s and 50s and this made it difficult for blacks to seek an education. (105) When veterens returned they had to find a job to support their families. While the GI bill helped thousands for returning American Veterens it was not avalible to everyone. I believe that the GI bill cannot be called the greatest legislation to aid in oppertunity because it still only gave the oppertunity to the select few. White heterosexual men and did litle to help the African American population.

Picture of THOMAS MCNULTY
Re: GI bill 2nd Sources
by THOMAS MCNULTY - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 06:45 PM

I agree. In the book and in other sources the authors are very quick to call the G.I. bill a entirely positive bill and one of the best usages of federal spending of all time when in reality there were some serious problems with it that often ruined people's lives. Being that there were something like 500,000 African American troops that participated in the war, that meant that there were about 450,000 troops who did not receive full benefits from the G.I. Bill, the other 50,000 is probably a over assumption at how many received fair treatment. As for gays they received some of the worst treatment often gaining 0 benefits from the G.I. Bill, something that can't be swept under the rug when people talk about how great the bill was.

Picture of ROBEL MAHARI
by ROBEL MAHARI - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 11:29 PM

you make a very valid point about how the book talks about the bill in a postiitve light. But there were so many people who were exckuded it from it but it spoke as if the exclusion was implied. 

Picture of Rheanne Carbonilla
by Rheanne Carbonilla - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 06:56 PM

I agree. I think whoever called it the greatest legislation to aid in opportunity paid attention to the numbers of veterans getting an education and into college more than the demographics and who was really getting the benefits.
Picture of Jamia Yard
by Jamia Yard - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:53 PM

I agree. Many of the actions made by soldiers who were not honorably discharged were minor. They still should have received their benefits because they fought in war and risked their lives. That should not be undermined by some innocent actions. This unhonorable discharge also essentially ruined their life but for what? Nothing illegal was done in most cases and these discharges and inelligablities were very unfair.

Picture of SOPHIE HARRINGTON
by SOPHIE HARRINGTON - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:37 PM

I completely agree that the Bill should not be named the "great legislation," because it only granted help to a selective part of the countries popluation. Racism still thrived under the Bill, as did homophobia--two issues still currently problems today. The Bill should have tried to help all veterans of war, and not have determined discharges based on identity.