Help with Search

Picture of Rheanne Carbonilla
GI Bill
by Rheanne Carbonilla - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 06:46 PM

After World War II, on June of 1944 the GI Bill, also known as the Servicemen's Readjustment Act was passed to provide and help servicemen and servicewomen get education and give employment benefits. The GI Bill educated 78 million veterans after the war. The Veteran's Administration had kept blacks from receiving certain benefits. The poverty for black families increased in the 1940s to 1950s which made it necessary for them to get an education in order to get a job. This was harder for them to due to how ineffective the educational benefits blacks had compared to the whites. The Veteran's Administration housing and hospitals were segregated and inferior to whites, which can relate to the Black Shirts. The Black Shirts was a group that did all they could to get blacks to stop taking away the whites jobs. It connects the black shirts by having a certain group, this being the VA, do what they could to prevent African Americans get certain benefits as whites. (106). The GI Bill also excluded gays and lesbians from getting economic benefits and welfare state. The New Deal Liberals and FDR were against this federal policy. It's sad to read these sources and find that so long ago the problems we try to solve have been dealt with for so so many years and that it still keeps going on. Changes are still slowly coming like Gay Marriage and how it took more than 4 decades for gays and lesbians to feel equal with the same rights as others. Equality is something the US thrives, but with so many opinions you can never truly find equality. "..terms of the Serviceman's Readjustment Act... interpreted one way for blacks and another for whites." (104)
Picture of THOMAS MCNULTY
Re: GI Bill
by THOMAS MCNULTY - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:00 PM

I agree with you. The G.I. bill was a very impactful bill on the lives of the veterans returning from war and it revolutionized how veterans would be treated and thought of for years to come. With that said many people say it was one of the best pieces of legislation ever passed without thinking about what it did to some minorities that were in the army. People such as gays and blacks were not given the benefits they were entitled to for serving and coming back from that dreadful war that they deserved. It was interesting to see how when the bill was passed it was not the intention of excluding groups but throught the VA it was turned into a system of picking apart the army into different peoples and determining who deserved what.

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:00 PM

I think it is very interesting that you talk about black shirts. I agree that the way african americans were treated upon their return from service was awful. Many of them fought very loyally and risked their lives to protect people at home who then denied their right for a college education. 

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
by EMMA ATLAS - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:01 PM

I don't believe that an education was required for black Americans to get a job. Education was just required in order for them to get a good job. Black families were already in poverdy at this time, to get out of poverdy they would need to get a better job which could reqire education but it was not nessacarily required.

Picture of Malcolm Scannell
by Malcolm Scannell - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:07 PM

While I agree with the majority of your position, I am not on board with your statement that balcks needed a higher education to become a part of the work force. Your argument sounds similar to the one that Booker T. Washington presented to blacks in the early 1900's, which was one entailing a need of assimilation in order to compete in the white-dominated country. While I think it is incredibly beneficial to have a college education, I do not believe that it was a complete necessitie.

Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER
by MOHAMED SAMATER - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:10 PM

I agree with the statement that the U.S has taken steps to create a place of equality for all the people living in the U.S. The U.S has a lot more progress to put all citizens on an equal playing field, but the idea of superior groups and leggal enforcement of that has significantly decreased. An example of this idea being demolished would be the great number of lacking oppurtunities for groups that were not associated with a great amount of power, like African Americans and homosexuals. Even though there has been a long time of U.S where the one group remained in power for a long time, people can learn from these sad moments and ensure that they do not occur for future generations.

Picture of Danielle Reeves
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:22 PM

I like how you brought in the specific evidence of the Black Shirts, I think that was a really good conection to make. Also it is an interesting point you make in connecting these problems with the modern day problems we have and I agree with you that it these exclusions and inequalities are something we still need to work on today. 

Picture of SOPHIE HARRINGTON
by SOPHIE HARRINGTON - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:30 PM

I agree with you that getting an eduaction was an important part of the G.I. Bill, but just becuase blacks didn't receieve an education it didn't mean they couldn't get a job. They had been hired without educational requirements for years prior to WWII, the issue with the Bill was that it continued to exclude blacks from education, which would help them get a good job--one that would advance them in the socio-economic scene. 

Picture of BMENET GIRUM
by BMENET GIRUM - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:07 PM

I agree with everything you said and made me think alot about Gay rights in America and how like now people are respecting Gay marriage. However I liked how you introduced the Black shirts into your piece because they played a powerful role during the time. They like others were one of many that tried and sadly at times sucessful depressed the African American race in hence treated them like they were worthless.

Picture of Nicholas Reed
by Nicholas Reed - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:11 PM

I think that it is very interesting that you bring up the policies of the Black Shirts in relation to African American veterans having trouble with employment and economuc relief hrough the GI Bill.  I personally disagree with your statement on how reduction of education can easily lead to reduction of employment, because you can still be employed in factories or other positions in the industry work force and have a weak history of education but still be able to obtain some quantity of capital.  Otherwise, I agree with pretty else and I think that you did a great job of summarizing the relations of the GI Bill between both packets smile

Picture of ROBERT SHAPIRO
by ROBERT SHAPIRO - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:47 PM

I agree with you it is very depressing that people that risked thier lives for this country returned home to such discrimination. The VA seemed to only want to help heterosexual whites. Discrimination like the fact African Americans who turned down poor paying menial labor lost unemployment benefits and people thought to be homosexual were sent home with an undesirable discharges is extremely unfair and the fact that it happened only 60 to 70 years ago is really crazy.

Picture of TARA JONES
by TARA JONES - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:58 PM

I agree that changes in many injustices in our country have occured over time and its incredible to look back and see specific differences. I liked your use of outside specific evidence. I think that when Hilary Herbold was talking about poverty she was using it more to represent blacks not making the economic progress they had believed they would during the war. She follows it by saying it was "problematic for blacks to seek education when labor and income were needed at home" 

Picture of ROBEL MAHARI
by ROBEL MAHARI - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 11:02 PM

Wow excellent job with relating this to the black shirts. It didn't even cross my mind but it makes perfect sence. You also did a good job with explaining the domino effects of the GI Bill for the black community and how it relates to the system of instutional opression. 

Picture of Beminet Desalegn
by Beminet Desalegn - Friday, April 8, 2016, 12:27 AM

I agree that the G.I. Bill was discriminatory towards African Americans. They fought along side the whites and risked their lives equally, however, they were denied the benefits that the white veterans received. There was discrimination in the United States, and the GI Bill was their hope to providing them with more opportunities. However, the GI Bill simply continued the racial prejudice and disrimination that blacks already faced. The Bill was supposed to provide them with opportunities such as educationa and housing, but they were all denied. Furthermore, the condition of the black families also affected the lives of the many future African Americans. Because their families and ancestors were poor and provided little opportunities, the upcoming African Americans generations did not have a good start and many became forced to live in the same situation as their families.