Help with Search

Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER
The GI Bill Secondary Sources
by MOHAMED SAMATER - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 06:54 PM

The GI Bill became law in 1944 and it is widely remarked for starting oppurtunities for Americans that served in the armed forces. In Building a Straight State by Margot Canady and Never a Level Playing Field by Hiliary Herbold examine the effects of the GI Bill on vetereans and evaulate the pros and cons of the GI Bill. The GI Bill had positives for the veterans it was intended to support. One example of the positive aspect from the GI Bill was that a statistic provided by the Joint Economic Committee of Congress helped military personnel with a college degree or vocational traning programs earn an average of $10,000-$15,000 more than who had not. This statistic displays that the GI Bill was able to help eligible veterans make an easier transition to U.S life after WWII. Though the GI Bill had a positive effect on some veterans, there were groups of U.S military soldiers that were uneligible for the benefits of the GI Bill, dueto the enforcement of the Veteran's Admission's (VA) policies. An example of the unequality of the VA was the blue papers that were targeted to homosexuals. The blue papers was a way for a soldier to meet with board, but the board could give the soldier a prison sentence or be courtmatialed, and the VA issued the blue discharge to soldiers suspected of homosexuality. Being handed a blue paper made life for returning veterans very difficult, like Congressman B.W Kearney saying someone with a blue paper would not be able to a very useful citizen for society. These examples clarify the unequalities under the GI Bill that had severly affected homosexual veterans. Also, one group affected by the GI Bill was African Americans because they were declined or made impossible to gain their benefits from the GI Bill after participating in WWII. For example, a 1947 found out of 1,700 veterans employed in the VA from the South, only 7 were negroes. The 7 black veterans illustrated the near impossibility for African Americans to enter the VA after participating in the same WWII as white male veterans. To conclude, the GI was an important piece of legislature, but its effects contained more negatives than the positive for the impact upon the different groups of WWII veterans.  

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
Re: The GI Bill Secondary Sources
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 06:59 PM

I agree with your examination of both the positive and negative aspects of the GI Bill. I think that it is very interesting that you look at not only the military discharge but also at their return to home life. I agree and like the reading said I think it gives soldiers a sort of negative stigma upon returning home with a blue paper. It makes applying and recieveing jobs nearly impossible and created very unfair discrimination against people who did not even commit crimes.

Picture of Malcolm Scannell
by Malcolm Scannell - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:02 PM

I agree with the position you are taking regarding the variety of effects which the G.I. Bill spurred. To be specific though, I strongly agree with your argument that it not only has major negative effects that outweigh the positive impacts, but that it is presented and remebered in way that it seems like the ideal piece of legislation. Many only recognize the opportunities that the G.I. Bill opened up for white, married, heterosexual men, and not the continued exclusion that it enforced towards blacks and homosexuals.

Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT
by KAMRUL RUHIT - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:19 PM

When you mention the seven negroe veterans that were able to overcome the prejudices layed down by the VA and the GI Bill administration, it really provokes thought on who those veterans were. What consisted of those veterans that made them able to qualify for the GI Bill benefits? Were they part of the average black population who usually were turned down for such benefits that made it through due to perserverance, or was it part of the black population who so heavily assimilated to the whites?

Picture of Jamia Yard
by Jamia Yard - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:23 PM

I agree. The blue discharge made life for people discharged with it extremely difficult. They found it hard to get into schools and get jobs when they returned from the war. It was a very harsh punishment for a very minor "crime".

Picture of Danielle Reeves
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:27 PM

I agree that people with the blue discharge had a harder time in society, but I believe that the blue discharge itself was not bad, but it was the the idea that you were homosexual came along with it is what made it bad.