Help with Search

Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT
GI Bill
by KAMRUL RUHIT - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:08 PM

Never a Level Playing Field by Hilary Herbold is an excerpt on how the G.I Bill had major disadvantages to black veterans after World War II. The G.I Bill was a government issued policy that was meant to give benefits to World War II veterans, pertaining specifically to education. It was an opportunity for the veterans to rise out of their current socio-economic class and make a better life for themselves and their families. These benefits had specific exclusions that targeted blacks, largely limiting their ability to attend the colleges. The author throughout the reading talks about how the bill heavily disadvantages the blacks and adds tension to their already tensioned lives. Ever since the Jim Crow Laws, blacks have been separated from the whites in as many forms as they could possibly think of. The separation of races has become so institutionally naturalized, that keeping blacks away from whites in an educational environment was imminent. They had been doing so in every other aspect, so these provisions of the GI Bill were just an extension of the Status Quo. Hilary states, "blacks had fewer opportunities to earn college degrees, with or without benefits." If blacks previously have had limited opportunities in obtaining college degrees, or attending college at all, the G.I Bill does not do very much to inconvenience the lives of blacks any further. Considering this situation has been an issue for long before the war, it is interesting how it has become such a big deal now. Noted that many veterans are going back to school an a very promient opportunity, this authors title and merit of her argument can be applied to situations risen before World War II. 

Picture of BMENET GIRUM
Re: GI Bill
by BMENET GIRUM - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:17 PM

I sadly have to agree with your statement that even though G.I Bill basically was another legislation that did not allow blacks do the things that they could not do before or in other words were not able to accomplish it seemed like another oppourtunity missed for change. The value of education giving to African Americans during that time was little to none and that those that got it would not benefit or go far with it. This meaning getting a college degree and starting a new life. However if they were put on a equal level playing field from the beginning could things be different or better yet can African American people be successful with better laws that helped them.

Picture of MINGJIE LIAN
Re: GI Bill
by MINGJIE LIAN - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:35 PM

I agree with you when you say that the GI bills excluded blacks. I think the main reason for this was the Veteran's association. The VA tried to limit education for blacks as much as possible. The GI bill was mainly to get education for veterans, but due to a few black colleges and how underfunded they are compared to white colleges it really is unfair. The colleges were usually overpopulated and people there are undertrained.