Help with Search

Picture of Jamia Yard
GI Bill Post
by Jamia Yard - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 07:59 PM

After WWII, the GI Bill was passed by Congress to give benefits to veterans of the war. This included financial support (unemployment payments) and payments of educational fees so ex-soldiers could go to college. However, these benefits were not available to all veterans. Veterans could only receive these benefits if they were discharged honorably from their services. This meant that members of the service who engaged in homosexual acts were not eligible for the benefits because the discharge for this action was a dishonorable discharge. This type of discharge also made it harder for someone with it to attend colleges and universities and get jobs. They would also have to explain that discharge for the rest of their life and have a stigma placed on them for being gay or engaging in any homosexual acts period (Canaday 942). Also, black people enlisted in the army were excluded from the benefits as well. Blacks refused to work for extremely low wages, so the Veterans Administration revoked their unemployment benefits (Herbold 105). This bill was only for straight, white veterans and not for all like it was supposed to be.

Picture of Kiva McElhiney
Re: GI Bill Post
by Kiva McElhiney - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:23 PM

I strongly agree with your statements, it was extremely unfair and quite munipulative. The GI Bill claimed that it was accesible to anyone, and was this new great stride in the United States, but in actuality, faced major setbacks. It is quite sad, and something I find disheartning is that after studying US history to see how frequently things like this happened. It seems that all these different groups of people faced discrimination, something that is exremely unfair. 

Picture of BEFTU SULTAN
Re: GI Bill Post
by BEFTU SULTAN - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 11:07 PM

It is very interesting how there aren't many articles out there that emphasize how the G.I bill exlcuded many veterans. I feel like many historians priotize the fact that this was the first major bill that was passed to provide financial benefits to specifically veterans.