Help with Search

Picture of Danielle Reeves
GI Bill Secondary Sources
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 08:58 PM

When reading "Building a straight State: Sexuality and Social Citizenship under the 1944 G.I. Bill I found the claim that the U.S would not truly reach democracy until "Citizens basic economic needs were met so that they could participate to the fullest extent in the social and politcal life of thier nation"  very interesting. It connects back to how the U.S tried, and tries to be a true democracy but continusly certain groups of people are descriminated against and exculded to certain benefits in the U.S. For example the problem with the G.I bill was that it exclusively state that homosexuals are not elligible for the benefits given in the G.I bill, adtionally blacks were legally allowed to collect these benfits but most times they were denied of them when going to collect. Overall we have without a doubt have made many strides towards equality for all, but there is still alot of incidents we see in the world where certain races are still treated harshly for thier race. In conclusion I wonder if we have met a true democracy and if not will we ever reach one?

Picture of Kiva McElhiney
Re: GI Bill Secondary Sources
by Kiva McElhiney - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:17 PM

I completely agree with your statement. It is extremely unfair and a constant problem that we still face in the United States. There are a numerous amount of policies, but have underlying barriers that are targeted at certain groups. The discrimination, though not loudly projected and talked about anymore, is definitly still prominent and is a strong issue. Something that could be interesting to expand upon and discuss is how many of these poeple responded to these inequalities at the time, is it like we do know? What is different? 

Picture of Nicholas Reed
Re: GI Bill Secondary Sources
by Nicholas Reed - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:18 PM

I totally agree with your perpective on the ability of reaching a stable democracy by looking back at racial historical events that have occured in past US history.  I think you could easily make your post significantly more interesting if you discuss racial issues that occured during Reconstruction after the Civil War that were involved with African America citizenship, naturalization, and voting rigthts.  Those particular historical ideas can be related to racial issues discriminating against African Americans during 1940's in extension to WWII, Cold War, employment relief, and many other causes that relate to the economic reforms of the GI Bill.