Help with Search

Picture of Leonardo Escobar
Leonardo's G.I. Bill of Rights post
by Leonardo Escobar - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 09:28 PM

At the end of WWII, by mid 1945, the United States had defeated the axis powers and left millions of soldiers in the need of returning home and going back the very way of life they had once left. The federal government had created a system of beneficial support for returning soldiers called the G.I. Bill. This bill was considered an extravagant piece of legislation due to the benefits that came with it for the veterans. This bill would provide citizenship(if they didnt already have it), home benefits, education funding, and much more. However, this bill had an evil side to it. It was a very racist and homophobic bill which did not apply to the oppressed and considered these kinds of people to be "Honorably discharged." The method of these soldiers was that, any evidence showing sign of homosexuality on or during the draft would end in "Blue discharge", ultimatley removing them from the privalege of the G.I. Bill. You could say that the G.I. bill went against the 14th ammendment, which provided justice for african-americans. The argument to be seen here is that the G.I. bill was a great system with terrible beliefs of not benefiting everyone who fought for their counrty in WWII. 

Picture of TARA JONES
Re: Leonardo's G.I. Bill of Rights post
by TARA JONES - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 10:01 PM

I think your use of Specific Evidence was really interesting and outside of the time period. I definetely agree with your arguement.

Picture of XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
Re: Leonardo's G.I. Bill of Rights post
by XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 10:17 PM

I agree with what you said about the negative effects that the GI Bill had on African Americans and Homosexuals, but believe that the Bill itself was not actually inherently bad. As you said African Americans were not able to take advantage of the benefits of being a veteran due to many means of racsism such as the KKK or political figures such as John Rankin who outwardly opposed African Americans rights. The GI Bill itself did not target African Americans but the lack of assistance that it played in allowing for all veterans to receive the benefits they deserved was an issue that it had and defenietly demonstrates the very racist and unjust political system which was in place.