Help with Search

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
Origins of the Cold War Post
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 05:10 PM

The period of the cold war spans arguably from 1947-1991 however the causes stem much farther back. It can be argued that it was the result of the U.S. and the U.S.S.R’s different internal systems. The United States was concerned with the treatment of Jews and others inside of Russia in the 19th century. Political dissenters, Jews, and any others whom the leader disagreed with could be sent to Siberia, a prison like area of eastern russia. Prisoners would be forced to walk thousands of miles in chains fighting the harsh climate and the hostile environment. George Kennan brought to light the injustices of Siberia through lecturing throughout the United States after visiting Russia to document what the prisons were like. However in 1917 during the October Revolution, Bolsheviks staged a Coup d’Etat against the government who had recently overthrown the Tsar. This new group of people were creating a nation in which they wanted to provide services, freedom and equality for everyone. They were striving to create a marxist economy where they could ensure no competition. In the United States at the time the ideologies were far different. The government was encouraging competition, free enterprise and a Laissez faire system. These two conflicting ideas can be seen as a major cause of the Cold War. Without the U.S. pursuing a Capitalist economy and the Soviet Union advocating for a Communist economy perhaps many conflicts such as Vietnam, and Korea could have been avoided.

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
Re: Origins of the Cold War Post
by EMMA ATLAS - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 05:58 PM

The cold war was a result of the US and the USSR's different internal system, and I believe that this was the most important cause. The cold war stemmed from mutreal distrust mainy on the side of the uS who was fearful of the communism that had overrun Russia and this played a big part in their relations leading up to the Cold War. 

Picture of TARA JONES
by TARA JONES - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:05 PM

I definetly think this was one of the important causes, I think it's good to keep in mind that this was only one and that it was long term. But I think its interesting how many  of the causes may have panned out to affect different aspects of US history

Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER
by MOHAMED SAMATER - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:28 PM

I agree the the difference between Soviet and American ideals were a direct cause to the Cold War and this could be seen in Wilson's 14 Points speech, in which he decided to battle Bolshevelism's spread around the world and offering the idea of a world that contained a sense of peace, self-determination, and private enterprise. Wilson's 14 points speech did not only display the difference between the Soviet Union and Russia, but it offers to see that the difference between ideals spreaded to different platforms, such as politics. 

Picture of LAURA GILL
by LAURA GILL - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 10:38 PM

I agree that though the Cold War is often attributed to immediate cause and effect, earlier events, such as the ones that you stated support E. H. Carr's theory about immeadiate, intermediate, and long term causes.