Help with Search

Picture of Danielle Reeves
Origins of the Cold War
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 05:46 PM

After watching the lecture “Origins of the Cold war” I found it intriguing how he referred to the cold war as a war of ideas. This also connects to how in the beginning of the lecture he talked about the causes and effects of the war. His biggest ideal on the cause was the difference in the soviets union and the U.S’s ideas of a post WWII world. The cold war was very much a “war of ideas”  as he called it. Most of the war was not spent fighting but spent building militaries, economies and societies. It was a race to see who could be a more powerful nation. Towards the end of the lecture he talks about how two capitalist nations can not work together (48:00) because capitalism is about being the strongest nation and you cannot have two nations. All of the ideas were the ideals that caused the cold war. The cold war was also a war of fear, for the U.S the feared the expansion of communism and would do anything to stop it, including their pervious isolationist views. One thing I found interesting about this war of ideas is while it was happening someone else had very strong ideals but rather than sharing them he acted on them. Hitler was on the rise during the cold war and people did not try to stop him at first, they tried to work with him through the policy of appeasement. Appeasement was when a compromise was made with Hitler basally saying he could have his way as long as he did not expand any further. In the lecture he says that the British Prime minister was more worried about Stalin than Hitler. He was even willing to “trust Hitler” (28:00). I believe this is an affect of the cold war. Stalin was able to share all of his ideas at the multiple conferences held during the cold war, but in the end did not act on them the same way Hitler did. Hitler on the other hand did not attend many of the conferences but worked on his own goal of running an all aryan nation. So my question is, should the other nations in the world stick to what they did and pay attention to the Soviet Union who was all talk? Or should they have seen that Hitler was actually talking action and tried to stop him sooner? Again this all connects to the how he talked about long term causes of historical events. (cause and effect of he was talking about in the opening of the lecture. If the Soviet Union and the U.S were not engaged in this “war of ideas” would Hitler be able to carry out an actual war on his own people to the extent that he did? Would getting rid of the cold war stop the holocaust? All of these questions come from when he said “What would happen if we could re-run the event” (4:32)

Picture of EMMA ATLAS
Re: Origins of the Cold War
by EMMA ATLAS - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 05:53 PM

I think it is interesting how you brought up "the war of ideas" I too found this interesting. The cold war was not like a normal war. It stemmed from suspicion that had been building for decades and did not result in full scale attacks. It was more subtle and this set it apart from any other war.

Picture of THOMAS MCNULTY
by THOMAS MCNULTY - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 06:46 PM

I think what you bring up is very interesting. The Cold War really was a war of ideas and that was the entire driving force behind the war. It might have expanded into the Truman Doctrine and the defense of free peoples but in reality, it was just Capitalism v. Communism and who would be the dominant figure post-WWII. What really drove the war for the people of America was as you said fear and things like McCarthyism and Alger Hiss were the reasons that the people of America had something to fight for coming out of an isolationist. Something interesting that this made me think about is that if there was no reason to contain communism would the US have gone back into isolationism seeing that there was no more to be done.

Picture of SOPHIE HARRINGTON
by SOPHIE HARRINGTON - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:30 PM

I never really thought about the Cold War as more than just a battle of arms until I heard Gaddis mention the war of ideas, you talk about, in his lecture. The U.S. and the Soviet Union rule in such different ways that it is impossible for the two to agree on a system of government, without the other finding flaws. Both nations wanted to be at the top of the superpowers through their capitalist ideas. 

Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr
by Pascal Beckert-McGirr - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:38 PM

I think it is very interesting the idea that it was not always neccesarily always a military war however a "war of ideas". In essence it can be boiled down to Capitalism vs. Communism however it is far more complicated than that when looking at the differing internal systems. This was one of the most significant causes that Gaddis brought up in his lecture. The fact that the U.S. and USSR had very different views of what the world should strive towards and how to get there. 

Picture of Rheanne Carbonilla
by Rheanne Carbonilla - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:14 PM

I like how you described the cold war as a "war of ideas". I find it interesting how you could back that up with great evidence and it shows that there is more to war than just fighting.
Picture of NIHAL DHILLON
by NIHAL DHILLON - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:41 PM

I agree with you, it was a war of ideas. There are more aspects to this war. It was as you said a race to see which power was more powerful because there can’t be two capitalist nations that are the strongest. The internal systems were different and that was the building block. The war of ideas were built off of these different systems, which they thought were good, that could expand to other nations.

Picture of PABLO REINA GONZALEZ
by PABLO REINA GONZALEZ - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:44 PM

I agree. I was very much intrigued when he said that. I mean the cold war was obviously not one of fighting (directly at least), but we're never really told what they were fighting war, and this is a very good way to see it.

Picture of JAMES KUBICEK
by JAMES KUBICEK - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 10:01 PM

I like how you talk about the relationship with Stalin and Hitler. I think it is important to note that Stalin made deals with Hitler even though he didn't trust him. This makes the relationship between the USSR and Nazi Germany very interesting because you see that Stalin only made a deal with Hitler so that he could buy time to build the Soviet Unions strength.