Help with Search

Picture of TARA JONES
Origins of the Cold War
by TARA JONES - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:12 PM

In his Origins of the Cold War lecture, John Lewis Gaddis describes causes of the cold war in three sections, long term, intermediate and immediate causes. I found it interesting to hear all of the aspects of the war and look at it from a larger perspective before zooming into what is ussually discussed, the more direct causes. Gaddis talks about US citizen's popular concern about Russia's oppressive Czar years before the cold war. Americans discovered this concern after George Kennan published writings of his experiences in Siberia, the country was at the time being used as a prison for not only criminals but ethnic groups the Czar did not want. I connected this to the mistreatment of Jews that occured during the Holocaust during World War Two. It confused me how public opinion wanting to help Jews in Siberia pushed the government to bring US into war when the Russian Czar was overthrown in 1917, but the governement took no action to directly save Jews during the Holocaust and took a less active aproach, claiming the best thing to do was win the war. I connected our invlovment to another country's political disputes to the Vietnam. The US felt the need to follow the policy of containment and tried to stop Ho Chi Minh's communist regime the way we, even in the long term, had wanted to stop the USSR's communist regime.

Picture of Kiva McElhiney
Re: Origins of the Cold War
by Kiva McElhiney - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 07:42 PM

I strongly agree with your statements, previsoulsy I just assumed the Cold War happened right after World War II, but in actuallity, had a number of different reasons for why it began. I find it very interesting that you compare both Stalin's rule, and Hitler's rule, I never realized how similar they actually were. I also find it fasinating to see the contreversial public opinion on the matter between both Russia and Germany, and how others reacted so differently to such similar situations.  

Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT
by KAMRUL RUHIT - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 08:59 PM

I agree with your statement on how it seems intersting that helping Jews in Siberia was a major factor in bringing the U.S into the war, but during WWII and the Holocaust there was no direct action towards helping the jews, and the only way of helping them was through winning the war, a goal that seemed heavier in the interests of the larger powers at stake, and less of the wellbeing of the Jews. I as well rose the same concern when the U.S seemed raids on death camps were not as worth as going for the larger goal of winning the war. Siberia may have been a place of large sufferring for the political dissidents, however death camps like Auschwits were systematic extermination of human beings. Understood that situations could have been different during the time periods, it still is questionable on behalf of the Executive and Military branches of America. 

Picture of BMENET GIRUM
by BMENET GIRUM - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 10:01 PM

I agree with you that the causation had a huge impact on how the Cold War is viewed today. Also in a sense that containment policy that the U.S policy could changed up. The communist party did do what they say they were going to do. AS well as long term had made no differnce led along change to the world we live in today.