Help with Search

Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER
The Origins of the Cold War
by MOHAMED SAMATER - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 08:06 PM

Throughout John Gaddis' talk about the origins of the cold war spoke mostly of the differences between the U.S and the Soviet Union, such as ideas and structuring of government. One important cause of the cold war was the transforming of ideas for the U.S and Soviet Union. To start, the belief in Bolshevism became popular after the 1st revolution, with the overthrowing of the Romanoffs. To battle this idea, Woodrow Wilson used his 14 Points speech to battle the spread of Bolshevism by speaking of a world with a sense of peace, self-determination, and private enterprise. These initial conflicting ideals contributed to the ones after WWII. For America, the idea of a perfect world by Wilson was important to make possible. However, the Soviet Union was very wary of potential enemies being anywhere, from different nations to citizens living within Soviet territory. To conclude, the great transformation of the different ideals of the two warring nations displays how the many differences between the Soviet Union and United States was a direct lead to the cold war. 

Picture of Nicholas Reed
Re: The Origins of the Cold War
by Nicholas Reed - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 08:35 PM

I totally agree with everything that you have said about the contrast between the US and the Soviet Union in relation to the start of the cold war, but I think you could be more specific. As WWII came to an end, the primary global issue between the US and the Russia, were the worries on the Soviets expansion of communism which was meant to influence many of the post war European nations. I would personally go more into to detail about US containment policies and how it affected the relationship between the Soviet Union and the US in retrospect to the ultimate consequences of the Cold War. But otherwise, good job!