Help with Search

Picture of NIHAL DHILLON
Origins of the Cold War
by NIHAL DHILLON - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 08:36 PM

In the lecture, The Origins of the Cold War, the origins are explained using three types of causes. I found it really interesting how John Lewis Gaddis broke down the causes in long term, intermediate and immediate(5:40). I found the point on different internal systems very interesting(9:40). The difference in how the internal systems were building up  which led to different interests and concerns. First with Americans concerned with what was happening in Siberia ,where the conditions were prison like. He talked about the war of ideas, the ideology that had developed and Wilson's fourteen points(16:35). I found the part about Stalin never abandoning leninism interesting. He was waiting for a bolshevik proletarian  revolution that would influence others and he never abandoned the leninist idea that capitalist countries are just trying to finish each other, so basically they will never cooperate with each other(47:17 and 48:18). So he was just waiting for things to happen. Gaddis made a point on the sphere of influence, it would have to be built of of trust (50:57). Stalin did not trust anyone. As  John Lewis Gaddis describes in the beginning with Robinson, who is to blame? You can’t say, but the difference in the internal difference is key. Everything else was built up on that.

Picture of Danielle Reeves
Re: Origins of the Cold War
by Danielle Reeves - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 08:55 PM

I also agree that the difference in thier internal structures are key, and Stalins need to not compromise and abandon his ideas also made it very hard for compromises to be made, which led to the so called war of ideas

Picture of MINGJIE LIAN
Re: Origins of the Cold War
by MINGJIE LIAN - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 10:20 PM

I agree with you when you say that it was explained using three different parts. I really like how Gaddis focused on one type and then went into depth about it then continued to the second type and so forth. I think it made it really clear and it shows that the cold war wasn't just because of WW2 or communism.