Help with Search

Picture of MINGJIE LIAN
THE ORIGINS OF THE COLD WAR
by MINGJIE LIAN - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 08:52 PM

In the origins of the cold war, John lewis Gaddis makes the statement that to have a cold war the US and Russia need to have something to disagree about. I would agree with this statement because the belief that the two countries had was entirely different from one another. The US believes that the people should choose their own government and free trade with one another. While Russia believed in acquiring space and obtaining subservience. Countries can't gain more power than the Soviet Union. Stalin believed in all of this. One example of this was the Soviet nazi pact. The reason why Stalin signed this pact was because he knew that germany had more military power than them, and so the pact was to give him some time to prepare his army so that when the nazis do invade russia they can be ready. Like Czechoslovakia, he created laws that forbid the country to create hostile policies against the soviet union. If the Soviet Union expands than communism also expands. The US couldn't allow that to happen because the US and SU ahve opposite beliefs and was afriad that they would cut off trades. So the US created the truman doctrine doctrine and containment policy. The goal was not to defeat SU but to make them give up.

THE ORIGINS OF THE COLD WAR

Picture of Malcolm Scannell
Re: THE ORIGINS OF THE COLD WAR
by Malcolm Scannell - Thursday, March 17, 2016, 07:00 PM

I agree with your statement that the Cold War depended upon a disagreement between the United States and the Soviet Union. One of the things I found very interesting in the lecture that you hinted at during your post was how if there existed two global superpowers, they would eventually, by fate, be forced to encounter one another due to inevitable power struggles between them.