Help with Search

Picture of Rheanne Carbonilla
Origins of the Cold War
by Rheanne Carbonilla - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:11 PM

In the lecture, "Origins of the Cold War" , Gaddis describes the causation of the Cold War in three sections, long term, immediate term, and intermediate term. He talks about how the long cause was during the Bolshevik Revolution. The US wanted to stop the spread of bolshevism which connects to Wilson's 14 points speech he made to establish American ideology in foreign policies. There was a mistreatment in the Soviet Union towards Jews, which can relate to Hitler and the holocaust. Gaddis explains how the US and the Soviet Union had different internal systems during the 19th century, which created conflict in the matter of who had greater power of one another. Before this lecture I didn't know that the Cold War was in the "making" for longer than the start of WWII. The tension between these two nations have been rising, I feel as if the Cold War didn't happen, later on there would be a war worse with even more tension.
Picture of XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
Re: Origins of the Cold War
by XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:42 PM

I agree with your point on the realist idea of how any two great powers who are involved in the same system are going to be involved in some sort of conflict. For me this points out more clearly how truly inevitable the rise of tension was between the U.S and Soviet Russia due to the enormous amount of history which was the long term which slowly built up to the Cold War that was already an insecure time between the two nations. This long term to me is truly the most important causation of what lead to the Cold War.

Picture of ROBERT SHAPIRO
by ROBERT SHAPIRO - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:48 PM

I think you make a very interesting point about an innevitable conflict between the US and the USSR that Gaddis also bring up that 2 nations with such different views and with so much power will eventually run into conflict (Minute 7). I agree with this because I think when countires so opposite like the US and USSR run into conflict there is not much of a middle ground and would seem silly for either nation to back down. Capatilism and Communism are like oil and water and after World War II when the two countries were dividing up influence it becomes very hard not to see the other party as a threat to your style of government.

Picture of BMENET GIRUM
by BMENET GIRUM - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:56 PM

I agree with you on that the timing of the war in a sense was really important because if it did happen later on it could of made it worse to the extent it could affect our world today. The causation of it all did have an impact on all the countries. They did not want Germany to control all of Europe. Do you feel that a peace treaty could have been pasted in order to stop another war from occuring.

Picture of BEFTU SULTAN
by BEFTU SULTAN - Thursday, March 17, 2016, 12:31 AM

I also thought the same as you did Rheanne, I mean by when the Cold War was starting unofficially. It is interesting how the U.S was more scared of Hitler than of Stalin yet they were still allies. And they were still allies even when Stalin signed a pact with Hitler and the Allies did as well. The Soviet Union and the United States must have been natural enemies. 

Picture of Malcolm Scannell
by Malcolm Scannell - Thursday, March 17, 2016, 06:56 PM

I found your connection of how the Russian Empire's mistreatment of Jews is similar to that of Nazi Germany's under Hitler's rule. Liberal estimates state that the number of Jews killed during the Holocaust is easily in the millions, and while the Russian's did not mistreat them to that signficant of a degree, they each had their own forms of systematic oppression with the goal of objectifying Jewish people and communities.