Help with Search

Picture of XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
Origins of the Cold War Lecture
by XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 09:55 PM

John Lewis Gaddis' lecture on the Origins of the Cold War for me, what he called long term causations is what truly lead up to the Cold War and intrigued me the most. Of the moments prior to the Cold War the distrust which ocurred during the Bolshevik revolution in Russia was the beginning of a storm of issues to come. During this time a Democratic temporary government was put in place which sided with the United States and a level of trust had become established but Lenen's take over began a trend of distrust between the two nations which began spiraling out of control come World War 2. When WW2 came, tensions were high and the Nazi Soviet pact was a moment in which the issues at hand between the two nations became relevent where the two super powers were inevitably going to be fighting on different sides of the war. From here the Red Scare which was the fear of the spread of Communism in the U.S makes more sense. The distrust between these nations allowed for the American people to latch onto a fear of Communism and in turn distruct the Soviet Union because of this difference and their fear of the "anarchy" in Europe coming to the U.S. All in all I believe that many different causations can be put to blame but similiarly to how a snow ball grows while rolling down a hill the tensions between the U.S and Russia started with minute distrust from the fall of the democratic government and resulted in a yeti of snow which was the fear or nuclear destruction during the Cold War. 

Picture of FREDERICK GOULD
Re: Origins of the Cold War Lecture
by FREDERICK GOULD - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 10:30 PM

I agree, the Cold War is not solely a result of post-WWII disagreements, it is the peak of over a century of more minor ideological disagreements over power, internal systems, and territory.