Help with Search

Dear Students,

In this forum please discuss an aspect or aspects of the articles which you found interesting, upsetting, enlightening, or moving.  The support or disprove the argument from the articles using outside SE from the time period.

In order to earn a 90-100 for the post you must fully explain an outside piece of SE and apply that SE towards proving or disproving your argument.

Please see me if you have any questions and/or use the below example from our Eugenics discussion as guidance:  

All the Best,

MK

During the period of the Progressive Era, the ideology of eugenics attracted all kinds of American people, even prominent leaders such as Theodore Roosevelt.  Eugenics was the movement to improve the human race by the social control of human breeding, based on the belief that biology determined who was fit and who was unfit.  This would be accomplished by forced sterilization or locking the unfit in prisons or asylums so they can never reproduce .  In the eyes of progressivists, the fit were Anglo-Saxon people and the unfit were usually immigrants, but also criminals, the mentally ill, etc. (Leonard 208).  Many eugenicists believed in immigration restriction based on racial grounds in order to prevent “race suicide”.  “Race suicide” was a Progressive Era term for the process by which people of a racially superior stock, the natives, are outbred by a racially inferior stock, the immigrants.  They believed that the overbreeding of the immigrants, or unfit, would decrease the quality of the American people (209).  However, in the 1930s, American eugenics went into decline.  The Emergency Quota Act of 1921 and the Immigration Act of 1924 both reduced immigration from southern and eastern Europe and the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1892 reduced immigration from China.  Immigration from southern and eastern Europe fell from 730,000 people a year in the decade before World War I to 20,000 a year after.  Reduced immigration mixed with a pause in immigration during World War I and a decline in fertility during the Depression Era caused the population to shrink and the shrinking population seemed to be a greater economic threat than controlling the breeding of different races (219).  A shrinking population, the growing power of the Catholic Church, and scientific research that opposed some eugenic beliefs caused American eugenics to decline greatly.  Even though eugenics did not disappear completely anywhere, specifically in places like Nazi Germany during the Holocaust and World War II, it declined greatly, while still having a large impact on the American economy and society. 

DiscussionStarted byRepliesLast post
GI Bill Post Picture of PABLO REINA GONZALEZ PABLO REINA GONZALEZ 2 Beminet Desalegn
Fri, Apr 8, 2016, 12:38 AM
GI Bill Picture of Rheanne Carbonilla Rheanne Carbonilla 13 Beminet Desalegn
Fri, Apr 8, 2016, 12:27 AM
G.I. Bill Picture of Beminet Desalegn Beminet Desalegn 0 Beminet Desalegn
Fri, Apr 8, 2016, 12:19 AM
GI bill 2nd Sources Picture of EMMA ATLAS EMMA ATLAS 5 ROBEL MAHARI
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 11:29 PM
Exclusive Picture of BEFTU SULTAN BEFTU SULTAN 0 BEFTU SULTAN
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 11:24 PM
GI Bill Post Picture of Jamia Yard Jamia Yard 2 BEFTU SULTAN
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 11:07 PM
Servicemen's Readjustment Act (GI Bill) Secondary sources Picture of ROBEL MAHARI ROBEL MAHARI 0 ROBEL MAHARI
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 10:21 PM
Leonardo's G.I. Bill of Rights post Picture of Leonardo Escobar Leonardo Escobar 2 XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 10:17 PM
GI Bill Post Picture of ROBERT SHAPIRO ROBERT SHAPIRO 1 FREDERICK GOULD
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 10:15 PM
G.I. Bill Post Picture of SOPHIE HARRINGTON SOPHIE HARRINGTON 1 FREDERICK GOULD
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 10:08 PM
GI Bill Picture of TARA JONES TARA JONES 1 XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 10:08 PM
GI bill Picture of MINGJIE LIAN MINGJIE LIAN 4 NIHAL DHILLON
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:53 PM
The G.I. Post Picture of BMENET GIRUM BMENET GIRUM 1 NIHAL DHILLON
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:45 PM
GI Bill Secondary Sources Picture of JULIETTE LOW FLEURY JULIETTE LOW FLEURY 1 MINGJIE LIAN
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:44 PM
GI Bill Post Picture of LAURA GILL LAURA GILL 1 JULIETTE LOW FLEURY
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:41 PM
the GI Bill Picture of Kiva McElhiney Kiva McElhiney 1 LAURA GILL
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:38 PM
GI Bill Picture of KAMRUL RUHIT KAMRUL RUHIT 2 MINGJIE LIAN
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:35 PM
GI Bill Post Picture of Pascal Beckert-McGirr Pascal Beckert-McGirr 1 LAURA GILL
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:30 PM
GI Bill Forum Post Picture of Nicholas Reed Nicholas Reed 1 Leonardo Escobar
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:29 PM
GI Bill Picture of NIHAL DHILLON NIHAL DHILLON 0 NIHAL DHILLON
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:25 PM
GI Bill Secondary Sources Picture of Danielle Reeves Danielle Reeves 2 Nicholas Reed
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:18 PM
Pilli's Post :) Picture of XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS 0 XOLOTL ALFONSO CRUZ-DEJESUS
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 09:07 PM
The GI Bill Secondary Sources Picture of MOHAMED SAMATER MOHAMED SAMATER 5 Danielle Reeves
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 08:27 PM
Malcolm's Post Picture of Malcolm Scannell Malcolm Scannell 2 KAMRUL RUHIT
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 08:01 PM
Straight State/ Never a Level Playing Field Picture of THOMAS MCNULTY THOMAS MCNULTY 3 KAMRUL RUHIT
Wed, Mar 9, 2016, 07:53 PM